Home About Contact Subscribe Shop With Me Sponsor

Pinspired: Toaster Grilled Cheese

November 3, 2011 by Trina 5 Comments

Alternate title:  How I Almost Burned My House Down

A few weeks ago on Pinterest I saw this amazing idea.  Grilled cheese in the toaster.

The trick?  Turn your toaster on it’s side like so:

via Grilled Cheese Social

My first mistake was thinking it was as easy as that. I never actually read the post, and when Rayna requested a grilled cheese last night I thought, “AH HA, now’s the time to try this little trick.”  But after tracking down the post and actually reading it, I now know I made some critical errors.

I took one slice of bread and a piece of cheese and popped them in my toaster which was laying on its side and I walked away to start the Alice and Wonderland DVD the kids and I were planning to watch.  In that once sentence alone I broke 3 of the 4 rules that MacKenzie mentions which are:

1.  CLEAN OUT YOUR TOASTER.  {Mine had crumbs all in the bottom}
2.  FLIP YOUR TOASTER ON IT’S SIDE. {Check!}
3.  DO A TEST RUN. {Apparently some toasters have “hot spots”. Clearly mine is one of them.}
4.  DO NOT LEAVE YOUR TOASTER UNATTENDED WHILE YOU’RE MAKING THIS GRILLED CHEESE. {Um, yeah…the DVD}

The next thing I know Rayna is hollerin’ “SMOKE! MOMMA! SMOKE!”.

I ran to the kitchen, popped out the toast {which was BLACK at this point} and saw flames in the bottom of my toaster!  Cripes, I don’t have a fire extinguisher!  So I blow, blow, blow the flames out but it took several tries to get them all out.  I was on the verge of panic.

My kitchen was full of smoke and when I opened the cabinets later that are above the toaster, smoke came out of them.

I got the mess cleaned up and the smoke cleared out but my house still smells like fire.  In fact, this morning Jonathan asked what that smell was in our kitchen because he missed the whole thing and didn’t get home until we were already asleep.

I’ve certainly learned my lesson.  Don’t try anything on Pinterest without reading the actual post FIRST and also, I need to buy a fire extinguisher.

I’m linking up with Kodi for Pinspired Thursday.

I’m also linking up with Casey Leigh for Fall Follower Fest!

Photobucket

5 Comments

  1. LOL! This is hysterical; however, genius! I cannot wait to try it!
    xx
    Lia

  2. LOL HILARIOUS!!!!!!! Thank you for the laugh!

  3. LOL! Oh my goodness! I’ve had my share of Pinterest fails too. The worst was that “Roast a chicken in a bundt pan” one. The top was perfect! It looked beautiful! But as I carved it for dinner… the bottom was totally raw after 1.5 hrs in the oven! Hope the smoke smell is gone by now. I know how that lingers!

  4. OH NO!! I’ve seen that and wanted to try it too! Of course, I never read the post either.

  5. oh no!!! we had cookie dough scraps burst into flame in our oven once! super scary stuff.